Monday, May 30, 2011

WRITING GREATNESS

I was twelve years old. It was the year - and this is how I remember it - it was the year I took a job with old Mister King. He grew tomatoes for the local grocery stores and he was gettin' old. He needed a hand around the place. Mostly I was breaking up tomato crates so they could be reassembled into new crates. Anyway, it was in that same year my dad took a creative writing course. So I have my writing career to thank my dad for - for better or worse.

Here's how it went: When I heard that a body could make money writing stories, which is what I already knew I wanted to do anyway, I was amazed. I was already reading classic literature by that time. I would read a story like 'A Barn Burner' or 'The Snows of Kilimanjaro' and I didn't really understand it so I would go to my dad and ask him what it was all about. "Did the guy die in the end or what?" I'd ask.

"Maybe you're too young to understand it yet," he'd say.

And he was right, of course, but I'd read them anyway and maybe that was part of the appeal - that I didn't really understand and wanted to, or that I wanted to be able to say I read stuff than nobody my age understood.

This is the second anniversary of my blog. I am creating this blog while I am working on my work in progress - attempting to work out details and to come up with solutions I might not otherwise have come up with. Sometimes it is hard to tell which is which. I am writing from within the creative eye, as I call it. I hope you are enjoying my work here.

In August my novella 'The Angelic Mysteries' will be released through Amazon and Barnes and Nobles and Smashwords. I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you think of it. It has been many years in the making. 'The Angelic Mysteries' was published first as a trade paperback novel in 1994. It was picked up by an agent who made promises of millions $. When that didn't happen it was dropped quick enough and I don't feel it was ever given a proper reading. I have since completely re-written it and it is much shorter. I like to think it has been distilled. In any case, I like this version much better and am excited to be releasing it soon.

Thanks for following my work here and as always I invite comments from my readers.

Yours always,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.