Tuesday, April 21, 2009

ABOUT JAMES D. SANDERSON

Hello again.

I thought I might as well follow up and let you know who I am. I was born in 1952 and have been a reader from an early age. Even as a kid I was always carrying books around - many of them classic literature - mostly American though some others as well. (I did not read War and Peace until I was a teen). I think Ernest Hemingway was the one who got me started. As a young boy I couldn't believe that someone was actually living those adventures. I vowed to have such a life myself. (I would never have run with the bulls in Pamplona, for instance, if it hadn't been for Hemingway's vivid descriptions of that event in 'The Sun Also Rises' and other places in his writing. I read F. Scott Fitzgerld, Sherwood Anderson, Mark Twain, and Jack London. All of these and many more of course are what has led to my interest in writing about great literature.

As with other areas in my life, however, I wanted to write in a way that anyone could understand and in a way that would be interesting. (I have to write the stuff, after all, and if it is dull, Jim will be a dull boy too). So I began to make connections between the various writers I have read and am still reading, and began to put these tales together in interesting, exciting, and even adventurous ways. (Did you know, for instance, the 'Little Women' is an allegory about young women who are struggling with the burdens of their faults that is based upon the allegorical novel 'Pilgrim's Progress' by English author John Bunyon? So it becomes a kind of allegory within an allegory - the only one I am aware of. (Though is you know of others you might want to let me know). I found that these writers made comments about each other - some sage and some just plain rude. They read each other and reviewed each other's works and influenced each other in sometimes very subtle ways. In making connections in this way it seems life has been breathed back into the authors and their works.

My wife and I live in Colorado and we are currently raising our two granddaughters. I write full time and have just finished my book 'American Masters' and have already started on my next, 'A Book of Books' (which is where the illustration about 'Little Women' is from). If you would like to check out some of my writing from this next book, please click on the link below for my other blog: http://www.abookofbooks.blogspot.com

Let me know what you're reading and/or writing.

Sincerely,

James D. Sanderson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.